* i’m going to write everything in lower case. it’s a full-blown war against capitalising alphabets. i won’t do it.
* i’m really into bj novak. in fact, the idea of writing about things i’m into every week came from his (now mostly inactive) facebook page. that and the fact that it also aligns with me trying to be in the present. well, i think i should at least attempt it considering i got a tattoo on my left hand that says transience.
* i’m into this show called love by judd apatow on netflix. (aside: i hate how naturally americanised we are, us wasted urban indian youth. do we even have a real identity? or are we just brown clones of american twentysomethings?) i like how casual the show keeps itself. it’s a romance that isn’t a sensory overload of music, melodrama and convention. instead, it takes its time while also being immensely watchable.
* i’m interested in the american way of life. well – i’m not into the philosophy of it, but since i saw so much of how americans live their lives on my recent vacation, i can’t stop thinking about and (ergo) talking about it with people. so here’s how they live. it’s an idea i’d like to call compartmentalisation. let me break it down.
* they go to work at 8 and they come back home at 6. in this time, they don’t do smoke-breaks and chai-breaks and le15 patisserie breaks or whatever the fuck that we do so often in our workday.
* they wrap work and do their shit. some of them run incredible distances and say offhand things like, ‘i dunno. i ran maybe 15-18 miles. it’s ok, i guess.’
* others will stand outside their balcony, smoke a j and debate @ length whether a car that just passed by had a cop badge on the side.
* some others will hang out with friends from tangential occupations and discuss work stuff like ‘is ms office superior to google docs or is google assistant listening to your conversations and should it be looked at as a great tech innovation instead of merely a great privacy threat?’ (aside: if more than two of them are meeting up they’ll mandatorily send gcal invites with navigation assist)
* and of course – they’re also apes so there are americans who don’t work at all. i can’t say for sure what these guys do because i didn’t meet such persons on my trip.
* i’m currently into second hand stuff. i could really do with a new phone or a gopro or a personal movie theatre right now. i don’t know, i haven’t bought new tech in ages and i guess i’m a little touchy about new tech since i love scrolling through their websites and seeing all the specs and dreaming of a day when i don’t have to see any of that bullshit and just hit up the checkout button. but until then i’m into second hand stuff.
* since i’m an optimistic guy i’ll just drop a link to all the stuff i’ve been surfing up hoping some magic materialises. i have a great idea – you guys can take a look at it, divide the logistics among yourselves and get me that stuff. start here – http://amzn.in/fAWEfuv
* (aside: i’m not ashamed to ask for things. this country is built on subsidy. at least i’m just casually asking and not burning buses and saying i need reservation no?)
* i’m also into making my short this week. i’m figuring out how to do it right now. it’s scary and new and i’m afraid of failing so much that it has crippled me into inaction. but this time around i have decided to persevere. to tell you a little bit – it’s a short story set entirely in a car and it doesn’t star Tom Hardy. crazy right?
* finally, i’m trying to figure out what ‘what i’m into this week’ is all about. right now it feels like an attempt to stay in the present. it also feels like an attempt to tell you i’m alive. have i succeeded in both counts? drop a comment to send my dopamine into overdrive.
until next week.